Thursday, July 12, 2007

Beating the Clock

So in taking Dr. Ruane's advice, I've been working on the 1st of the viking books and since I've been beaten over the head with viking travel in just a few short weeks, I'm thinking of taking Beyond the Edge of the Sea by Mauricio Obregon back to the library. Plus it covers more Greek things in it (Argonauts, Ulysses, ect.) than Norse and just kinda retells the sagas...which after my giant book of sagas, I kinda don't need.

I've kinda narrowed it [my capstone] down to sagas and/or myths. I feel I can tolerate that for long amounts of time. But because I'm slightly insane, most of my preliminary work is studying Viking Culture as a whole like what they ate, where they lived, ect. Vikings: the North Atlantic Saga is far too long for it's own good but after the religion section, I'm just going to do a scan of the rest, not pick it apart like I have been--otherwise I won't get done 'til December.

Notes: http://atomikfenrir.livejournal.com/1807.html because LJ has a cut function. =P

After that book I'm going to attack Saga of the Norsemen by Auerbach and Loren. Unless the even more books I'm getting from the library are more interesting. That and maybe go through the gold book Dr. Ruane gave me again; all the stuff I learned from that one got pushed out by Civil War stuff for Dr. Taylor's class.

I have only a limited amout of room in here! ::taps forhead::

I'm planning on a trip to USF's library to see what they've got. It seems only fair--another college in the area so I should take advantage of it. So that'll be Saturday after the pain from my teeth wears off.

I should probably do some more Joesph Campbell too. I um, what's the word? I'm kinda dreading it but The Power of Myth isn't so bad. I think Hero With a Thousand Faces just kinda threw me off while I was reading other stuff for other classes. Maybe if I clear my mind and sit in a corner with some green tea and honey it'll come easier. I know with *those* books, I'm going to have to do the post-it note method, typing it all out would take forever.

I wonder what the policy is on internet citations? How many can I have? And do I have to use them at all? The internet is great tool but for something this serious, I'm kinda leery of it, I'd prefer written text.

If anything, I'm going to try to update atleast every few days with new stuff so I feel some sense of obligation and not spaztic "OMG I NEED 15 pages by TOMORROW!" but more of a mellow one. And of course random questions that I think of at that moment and when I get enough of them, I'll shoot Dr. Ruane an email to prevent 8 million of them, heh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see just how pervasive digital memory has become in our every day lives. It's like everytime I turn my head, I see something with a card slot or USB port, lol. I guess it makes sense though, considering how inexpensive memory has become lately...

Ahhh, who am I to complain. I can't make it through a day without using my R4 / R4i!

(Submitted using Net3 for R4i Nintendo DS.)